Tuesday 28 April 2015

The work Experience: Christomer Service

If upon reading this message you learn nothing from what I'm about to write in this post today I pray you can take this with you; If you find that recently you haven't been feeling 100 % in your faith or for some reason you've been feeling kind of distant with God, now is not the time to pull back. In fact, this is the time when God sets out to test His true children. Stay just a little longer I can guarantee that God will use you to do great wonders. I believe that God was really starting to inspire me but in the process of trying to find myself I got too distracted. I for one am tired of starting something with my life and just abandoning it in the end. Aren't you ?

A couple of months ago at work we had what is called the "Mid-season sale"  which required a lot of preparation beforehand, a lot of head-wrecking from the manager, a lot of "doing the impossible" to drive sales and frankly a lot of grief taking from both colleagues and customers. It was epic. During the preparation beforehand I learnt something afterwards that I hadn't seen at that time. One particular morning we were introduced to a new way of driving sales and hitting daily targets (I'm talking making thousands of euros through products). They figured that the heart of it all was excellent "customer service". The store itself had been ranked as one of the top 5 in Ireland. On that ranking the store also received some feedback on how deal with customers. As workers, we were encouraged to greet customers during the time they'd enter the store. From time to time, it was up to us to make sure that we checked up on them in case they needed a size or if they needed a second opinion. Often times more than once we noticed that there were a lot of people that needed our assistance but it was just that they couldn't approach us for reasons unknown. This simple method allowed us to drive more sales and hit higher numbers within our given targets. And just like that, I was inspired to open my eyes and apply what I had learnt into something more purposeful with my life. I welcome you the end of the world "salvation sale". The heart of it all ?, "Christomer service"  (God bless my corniness).

It goes without say that "Christomer service is clearly made up, but the message behind it, I trust, will serve to be inspiring to both reader and creative writer alike. I cant remember where I heard this but I was once told that everyone, being unique and everything, have distinct destinies just to suit our needs and personalities given the fact that God has known us from the womb and knows exactly what we want in life (Cool right ?). However, we but share one thing in our destinies that not only benefits us all but also suits God's needs and personality; aiding in preaching the gospel and enlarging the the kingdom of heaven (stay with me). One of the ways in doing this is through service. Service is known as "the action of helping or doing work for someone". The bible encourages us to learn to serve one another before we even consider wanting to be served ourselves (Mark 10:35-45). I have seen the benefit of this at work so what more can it do in churches and out there in the rest of the world?

I remember explaining to someone that I didn't give my life to Christ because the Holy Spirit made me do the Harlem shake or anything like that. It was simply the love that people had for me at that time that made me feel like I was part of a race pursuing the same goal. Truth be said I received the best service ever because till today I attend church. Because they loved me even though they barely knew me, it made it so much easier for me to believe that God loves every sinner. That's how everyone out there wants to feel like. This is our part to play. Unfortunately we don't do this much often or as often as we should.

Reflection time:
A few blogs back I wrote that "retail may lose sales, but heaven may lose souls". I now have a better understanding of this. Going to work has allowed me to consider questions in my head like "Imagine living in a world where God gave us targets as to how many souls we were to win everyday?" Truth be told we would come short everyday and yet we aim to reach targets at work and we'd do everything in our strength to reach them. Think of the people you see everyday and ignore. Sometimes even saying "hi" is a problem. Even upon talking to them how many can say they have built up the courage to talk to them about God? Forget the outside world for a second and just look at the church you're in. How many christians in there are truly saved. I've come to realise that it is especially in the church that people have the deepest quesions about the lord they serve that go unanswered. Reason being is because we assume, just like the silent customers, that they dont need our help and therefore no edification is fulflied. People just wont approach you for reasons uknown but you have to make it your business to approach them with wisdom and do your work. It all starts with a "Hi how are you?" and watch the Spirit go to work.

I will end with this. You might have heard before that everyone out there is going through one situation or the other that no one knows about so becareful what you say. That to me sounds like an opportunity to rest one's burden. I believe in a world that truly seeks out to help one another to reach the same purpose. Silence has never done anything but helped a fool appear to be wise. Yet you that has wisdom, how are you using it ?


“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

And thats not #Omni
God bless you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment